Thursday, June 10, 2010

A far cry from Kensington

The Stained Kimono has moved! Kyoto's somewhat passe Kitayama mountains have been upgraded for the foothills of Mount Fuji.


I have taken up residence in Gotemba, which is just underneath the star on the map.

Fuji has not erupted since 1708, but this has not deterred the irrepressible US military. Most mornings I am woken by the earth shattering sounds of "target practice" as they blow holes into the side of Japan's largest active volcano. Not the smartest thing to do at such distressingly close proximity, you would think, but that's why you're not American.

Old view from my bedroom window in Kyoto


New view, outside my front door in Gotemba. My first day, at the end of March, after a freak snowfall, and again on a sunny June morning:


My nearest supermarket

"I come in Peas."

Rainy season is upon us, but this holds no fear for intrepid cyclists such as myself.

Sexy monsoonwear:

Despite the jaunty packaging, they are not in the least bit musical.

No comments:

Post a Comment